Parkinson’s Disease, or PD, is a degenerative disorder of the central nervous system that impairs motor skills, cognitive processes, and other functions. Although it is usually found in patients over 60, younger people are being diagnosed with it on a more frequent basis. According to The National Institutes of Health, at least 500,000 people in the United States have Parkinson’s Disease, with another 50,000 expected to be diagnosed each year.
Even though there are thousands with it, those who have been newly diagnosed or suffering for years with PD can feel alone. Chances are if you are reading this, you have internet access. Get its best use by checking out the below top 50 blogs about Parkinson’s Disease. They are written by patients, doctors, and even organizations entirely dedicated to it.
Top News Blogs About Parkinson’s Disease
Get the latest news about Parkinson’s Disease in these blogs.
1. The Michael J. Fox Foundation The actor made headlines when he revealed that he had Parkinson’s Disease. With a foundation in his name, they have loads of items on Parkinson’s in the news. There are also press releases, event information, multimedia, and more on the actor.
2. Medical News Today This leading medical site stays on top with loads of headlines in healthcare. With a special section for Parkinson’s, they include news, features, and expert opinions. The main site also has loads more.
3. PD News and Articles Click here for the official news feed from the American Parkinson Disease Association Inc. Updates, research, efforts, and other topics are discussed. Patients and families with Parkinson’s can also find items.
4. PD Online Research Want to get the latest news items on just the research? Then visit here for the latest studies and findings. There are also discussions, research tools, clinical trial information, and much more.
5. The Parkinson Alliance They promise that 100 percent of all individual donations go directly to Parkinson’s research. Visit to get their latest news updates. You can also sign up to receive their newsletter, “The Catalyst.”
6. Parkinson’s Research News Science Daily is a site where many experts visit to read the latest scientific headlines. They have a special section for Parkinson’s disease with stories and videos. You can also find loads of other related news items.
7. Parkinson’s Disease Health Center Stop here to get the official updates on Parkinson’s from WebMD. They have a disease overview, as well as the latest headlines. You can also get references for items such as symptoms, medications, and questions to ask your doctor.
8. Parkinson’s UK Get news on Parkinson’s Disease from the United Kingdom here. In addition to the news feed, they also have resources for local patients. You can also learn more through their publications.
Top Group Blogs About Parkinson’s Disease
These groups gather together to blog on Parkinson’s disease.
- 9. Parkinson ‘s Action Network The goal of the PAN is to unite others in search of a cure. Visit to get the latest headlines and news items in the media. There are also options on finding your own voice.
10. On the Blog Visit here for the official blog from the National Parkinson Foundation. Each month, they feature a new column by NPF’s National Medical Director, Dr. Michael Okun. It is usually on the latest developments in Parkinson’s disease research.
11. APDA National Young Onset Center The National Young Onset Center focuses on younger patients with Parkinson’s disease. Dr. Paul Short authors the blog on this different perspective. There is also a place to share your story and resources on how they can help.
12. Wobbly Williams Get a group of PD bloggers by visiting here. There are many to choose from, and they even offer tips for the newly diagnosed. You can even join their network of Try-Athletes.
13. Off and On: The Alaska Parkinson’s Rag Written by Peter Dunlap-Shohl, this blog was initially intended to be an information clearinghouse for the Anchorage Parkinson’s Disease Support Group, but now also serves as his therapeutic hobby. Here you can find information, schedules and agendas, and Peter invites you to join the community for discussion and a little therapy of your own.
14. Recently Diagnosed With PD Those who have been recently diagnosed with Parkinson’s Disease will enjoy the blog. The bloggers include entries on treatments from COQ10 to exercise. A recent entry was on denial.
15. Parkinson’s Blog Network These group blogs are part of the Health Blog Network. Many different blogs are gathered here in one convenient spot. They also feature “Must See Blogging.”
Top Blogs About Parkinson’s Disease by a Patient
These PD patients give first-hand accounts of the disease through their blogs.
- 16. Parkinson’s Journey Both Sherri and Judy were diagnosed with Young Onset Parkinson’s Disease before the age of 40 and met through an online support group for PD. Through the blog, they both offer their wisdom and experience on the issue. They even include day by day accounts of their routine.
17. Shake, Rattle and Roll Katie Kelsall is a 60 year old “shaky accordionist.” She was diagnosed 14 years ago and has been blogging about it for a while. Thoughts, tips, and more are all shared.
18. Bibmomma’s Blog Parkie is from Texas where she has Parkinson’s and is a mom, librarian, photographer, and cook. Her blog gives reflections of an early onset Parkinson’s patient. Doctor’s visits, advances, and an insider’s thoughts are all reasons to visit.
19. Bobology Bobciz is from Wisconsin and has Parkinson’s disease. He is also a retiree with time to muse, meditate, and itch. A standout choice for discussing things like the difficulty of typing and why he switched doctors. 20. Positively Parkinson’s Bob Kuhn was diagnosed in 2006 at the age of 53. He is still a practicing lawyer in the Vancouver region of Canada. His blog focuses on challenges and encouragement.
21. Coffee With Pokie Get poetry by Parkinson’s patients, from a Parkinson’s patient on this blog. The blog also has updates with things that interest the blogger, as well as links of interest. She has been living with it for 20 years and has loads to say.
22. Parkinson’s Focus Today Visit here to get a PD journey of discovery, progress, and stops along the way. Mags also offers information on studies and announcements. A recent entry was on an expert briefing on Parkinson’s.
23. What’s Shakin? Jon started the blog as a way to chronicle and share his experiences with Parkinson’s Disease. Labels include everything from the Bible to vices. One of the latest posts was on hope.
24. Walking my Path With Parkinson’s Marian considers herself a lucky lady. She has a son, a husband of 25 years, and a loving family. Diagnosed in 2006, she is learning to deal with it and shares how. Current topics include medications and a documentary on PD.
Top Blogs About Movement Disease
Learn more about Parkinson’s disease by reading these blogs about other similar diseases.
- 25. Day by Day With a Movement Disorder In 2006, she was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease and peripheral neuropathy. However, a year later the diagnosis turned into Essential Myoclonus. In the blog, she shares her journey, which include medications, daily life, family, and more.
26. Metamorphis of Btrflynana She has been diagnosed with many different diseases from Fribromyalgia, OPCA, Myastinia Gravis, Parkinson’s Disease, and Multiple Systems Atrophy. However the one that got it right was Lyme disease. Learn more with a read of the blog.
27. Deep Brain Stimulation DBS is often a treatment for Parkinson’s patients. Get a first-hand account of it by stopping here. What happens before, during, and after treatments is also shared.
28. Studio Foxhoven Get a humorous look at one person’s journey with Parkinson’s and Dystonia here. Terri spent 18 years teaching kindergarten and loves broomcorn. In addition to items on Parkinson’s, she also writes about education, crafts, photography, and more.
29. Broken Clay Katja is from Colorado where she is a computer programmer. She is also an advocate for people with disability. Her blog tagline is “the art of intermittent disability.”
30. Wheelie Catholic Ruth writes a blog where issues concerning people with disabilities intersect with life. She also encourages prayerful efforts toward social justice and inclusion. She recently took a look at a hands free keyboard.
31. At Risk for Huntington’s Disease Huntington’s is very similar to Parkinson’s Disease. However, this disease is genetically transferred, and children of parents with Huntington’s suffer a 50 percent chance of developing it. Gene writes about what it is like to live at risk.
32. A Survivor’s Guide to Huntington’s Disease In 2006, Angela tested positive for the gene that carries Huntington’s Disease. She now uses the blog to record the fight against the disease and the hope to start a family. It is also a means of support and sharing.
33. Living With Alzheimer’s This blog is for those who suffer from AD, FTD, and forms of dementia. Joseph was diagnosed in 2004 with the early stages of Alzheimer’s. Seven years later and he is still blogging strong.
34. Parkinsonism – Road to Diagnosis This is the story of the writer’s long struggle to find a correct diagnosis. The purpose is to help others who are struggling by providing tips on how to effectively deal with the medical community. Although posts stopped in 2008, they are still worth a look.
Top Blogs About Parkinson’s Disease by an Expert
These experts deal with Parkinson’s on a professional basis.
- 35. About Parkinson’s Disease Dr. Robert Rodgers had a mother who was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease. He believes she died from a stroke which was caused by all the medications she was taking. In his blog, he writes about natural and healthy treatments for Parkinson’s.
36. Parkinson’s…A New World Haroon is from Pakistan. He is a former Citibanker CEO and Ombudsman for Banking Services. He is now the Chairman of the Pakistan Parkinson’s Society. Get the latest updates with a read.
37. The Journal of Neuroscience Get the latest updates on Parkinson’s and related research here. You can check out many articles online. Be sure to visit Collected Papers with more on many topics.
38. Living With a Brain Disorder Brain Blogger is a leading neurology site. They feature loads of topics from multidimensional biopsychosocial perspectives. This particular blog focuses on brain disorders, and there are many others to choose from.
39. Moving Forward Several doctors blog here as part of the Medical College of Wisconsin. Updates, tips, and much more are all shared. Be sure not to miss the Parkinson’s Ride Walk with more.
40. The Spitoon Because Parkinson’s is suspected to be a genetic disorder, there is this blog. Many patients have visited to learn more about genetic testing. The blog also stands out for teaching about the DNA sequence.
41. Renegade Neurologist Visit here for a blog of professional neurologist Dr. David Perlmutter. He has a special section on improving patient outcomes with functional medicine. There are also entries especially for Parkinson’s Disease and other related items.
Top Specialty Blogs About Parkinson’s Disease
These PD blogs fall into their own categories.
- 42. Life With Shaky Mary Sullivan shares her sometimes funny, sometimes sad journey of her husband with Parkinson’s disease and their life together. A good choice for those who have a loved one with the disease. Be sure not to miss the “Shaken” documentary while you’re there.
43. Day to Day With Parkinson’s Disease Stop here for another blog of a wife with a husband with Parkinson’s disease. He was diagnosed in 1994 with early onset and she continues to blog to this day. One of her latest posts was on frustration.
44. On Being a Christian With Parkinson’s Disease Anna shares how a Christian faces life with the disease. Bible passages and prayers are often featured. You can also get updates on her daily life.
45. The Carl Hernz Show He features Parkinson’s related humor on the site. Images, videos, and more are shared. You can also catch shows made himself.
46. Voice Aerobics Because many Parkinson’s patients can lose their voices, there is this blog. It is full of tips for how to keep and maintain a voice. There is also an FAQ, shop, and articles.
47. Yes We Can Dance Bob Dawson wrote this to show other Parkinson’s patients of what they can do. Over thirty chapters cover topics such as the need to dance, research, the Tango, and more.
48. Move to Live Learn how to beat Parkinson’s through movement here. The blog is dedicated to people with all kinds of motility challenges, including PD. A bike ride was the topic of a recent post.
49. Firefighters With Parkinson’s This group is made up of firefighters with Parkinson’s, firefighters who want to join for a cure, and those who support them. There are tips with living with Parkinson’s, along with news. One of the most recent posts was on poisons in the environment.
Although there is loads of help on the above top 49 blogs about Parkinson’s Disease, please consult a physician before following any of the advice, such as changing medications. To read an expert guide on the disease, click here. It is authored by the Mayo Clinic and has sections for symptoms, causes, treatments, and even alternative medicine.